Prime Time Palm Beach County is a nonprofit organization that provides resources and supports for out-of-school time professionals to develop programs that inspire children to be their best and support them to thrive socially and academically. Prime Time’s integrated model of services is one of the strongest, most comprehensive and well-respected systems for measuring and improving out-of-school time program quality in the nation.
The hours between the time that children get out of school and the time that working parents come home is considered "prime time" for continuous learning and growth or risky behaviors. This critical window of time after school presents not only challenges but also opportunities to impact youth development. Recognizing that the majority of violence, drug and alcohol use, and sexual experimentation among young people occur during these after school hours, educators realize the value of quality, accessible afterschool programming. In 1996, key stakeholders in Palm Beach County, Florida, convened to share resources to improve the quality of local afterschool and summer programs.
Four years later, in 2000, the group formed a separate non-profit organization, Prime Time Palm Beach County, Inc. The organization was -- and still is -- dedicated to ensuring that afterschool programs are of the highest quality so as to keep youth engaged in learning, and on track for academic success and healthy social development.
- Convened school-age afterschool stakeholders to establish quality standards for Palm Beach County afterschool programs
- Launched and administered a quality improvement program for afterschool providers in Palm Beach County
- Advocated for the Advancing Youth Development curriculum to be available to school-age providers as part of the 40-hour childcare requirement for licensing
- Engaged more than 25,000 children and youth in our program enhancements
- Since 2007, Prime Time has awarded 5,151 scholarships to 1,300 afterschool professionals staff for college course work, professional credentialing and to attend conferences.