Prime Time Palm Beach County, Inc. is a non-profit, intermediary organization dedicated to out-of-school time (OST) programs. Prime Time oversees a system for reaching quality standards through assessment, program improvement and quality coaching. It also provides professional development, career advising and networking opportunities to OST practitioners, and through partnerships, supports a range of enrichment activities available to OST programs countywide.
The hours between the time that children get out of school and the time that working parents come home is considered "prime time" for continuous learning and growth or risky behaviors. This critical window of time after school presents not only challenges but also opportunities to impact youth development. Recognizing that the majority of violence, drug and alcohol use, and sexual experimentation among young people occur during these after school hours, educators realize the value of quality, accessible afterschool programming. In 1996, key stakeholders in Palm Beach County, Florida, convened to share resources to improve the quality of local afterschool and summer programs.
Four years later, in 2000, the group formed a separate non-profit organization, Prime Time Palm Beach County, Inc. The organization was -- and still is -- dedicated to ensuring that afterschool programs are of the highest quality so as to keep youth engaged in learning, and on track for academic success and healthy social development.
- Convened school-age afterschool stakeholders to establish quality standards for Palm Beach County afterschool programs
- Launched and administered a quality improvement program for afterschool providers in Palm Beach County
- Advocated for the Advancing Youth Development curriculum to be available to school-age providers as part of the 40-hour childcare requirement for licensing
- Engaged more than 25,000 children and youth in our program enhancements
- Since 2007, Prime Time has awarded 5,151 scholarships to 1,300 afterschool professionals staff for college course work, professional credentialing and to attend conferences.