Building a Positive Community with Teens
In order to learn, stay engaged, and develop as individuals, teens need a safe, predictable, joyful and inclusive space where they can experience belonging, significance and emotional safety. They also need to feel comfortable taking risks and working with their peers. How can you create such a space for the teens you work with? This active and interactive training provides specific strategies, fun group activities, and relationship-building meeting structures that will help you to establish a community that promotes positive experiences for teens.
Please note: Only afterschool practitioners working with middle school youth should register for this training.
Core Competencies Addressed
Core Knowledge Area – Learning Environment and Curriculum
- C1: Build a sense of community and help youth and staff feel like part of a larger community – Level 3
- C2: Guide youth in expressing their feelings and asserting themselves in positive ways – Level 3
- Discuss the importance of belonging, significance and emotional safety for youth.
- Examine the methods involved in establishing a positive community.
- Experience interactive learning structures and brain breaks that provide opportunities for youth to feel a sense of belonging and significance in a group.
- Explain the Responsive Advisory Meeting structure and practice developing their own Responsive Advisory Meetings as a way to help youth build positive relationships.
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Children\’s Services Council of Palm Beach County
2300 High Ridge Road
Boynton Beach , FL 33426